Thursday, September 3, 2009

Being honest with yourself....

Once you are honest with yourself you can be honest with others. More then you realize, honesty is a very important thing in any relationship but it starts with you. The more that you lie to yourself the more you portray that onto others. For example, I always tell myself that I am tuff and that I don't care what happens when it comes to having a relationship with someone. Guess what, they end up thinking that too and it doesn't work in my favor. I am not being honest with myself. I hide how I really feel in the attempt to not get hurt but in the end I am only hurting myself and ultimately the other person as well if those same feelings are returned.

Honesty is not something that comes easy. Did you know the average person tells 3 lies in a 10 minutes conversation, says psychologist Robert Feldman. So how do we overcome this? Well it starts with you. Start being honest with yourself and you will find that it will be easier to be honest with others. Read this great article by Jessica Bennett from Newsweek. She expands on the fact that we are a culture of liars. http://www.newsweek.com/id/213575 Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amira, I enjoyed reading this post. I can related to your tuff exterior in order to avoid the pain. I let a really great relationship slip away due to that very same defense mechanism. I acted as if I didn't care when deep down I cared a lot. In hindsight I guess I was being selfish also because I wasn't willing to get hurt for her. How strong can love grow if there is NO pain at all? It sux but every great thing comes with a price. I try not to be cheap with my feelings anymore.

    As for honesty, we have to accept the flaws in our character in order to be honest with ourselves. I'm a little embarrassed that I am 25yrs old and i'm just learning this. Anyways, you should check out my blogspot. It's my first time blogging so there is only one blog there. canisee1.blogspot.com

    PEEEACE HOOOOMIE!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete